In our office cafeteria we get egg chilly ( egg with green chilly) which they serve with chapati, and I like that combination a lot. I thought why not prepare chilly paneer using capsicum as in north we call it shimla mirch...:) I have no idea from where this word shimla came in front of this mirch.. I'll do some research later...:)
Lets come back to chilly paneer and learn how to prepare this easy and simple side dish that we can server during any meal.
- 3 green capsicum/ bell pepper/ shimla mirch
- 250 gm cubed paneer/cottage cheese
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 medium chopped tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder or 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2-3 tsp oil
Step by step guide to prepare Chilly Paneer:
- Heat oil in a kadhai or wok.
- Add chopped onion and cook for 5-6 mins until onion turns translucent and little brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes sand cook for next 3-4 minute until they become tender soft.
- Add little water if gravy starts sticking to kadhai.
- Add capsicum , all dry ingredients/masalas and mix well.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes until capsicum becomes soft.
- Add cubed paneer and give it a quick stir.
- Do not cover kadhai with lid/plate and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Paneer will becomes more soft and get mixed with capsicum and gravy.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
- Chilly paneer is ready to serve. You can have it with chapati or parantha.
My MIL is a big fan of capsicum and she prepares very yummy food herself. She loved this combination and that made my day.. lots of hug for her :)