Wednesday 14 November 2012

Rasmalai and Bengali Rasogulla


Diwali is the festival every one waits for, there so many reasons behind this wait, weather change holidays in school & office, time to meet cousins and relatives, time to spend extra time with kids, time to do some shopping for home and for yourself, house cleaning, starting new ventures..list for good things is never ending :)

Every time during Diwali I use to think when I will be able to make homemade sweets on my own. So finally during this Diwali I was able to prepare three sweets on my own. Offcourse I had done trials before to avoid any flop show on this day :)

I don't like drinking milk much from my childhood, I don't know from where I heard that milk stinks and has cream in it :(. So, I stopped drinking it unless my mom and sisters use to mix some Roohafza in it or some other flavours to make it interesting for me. Now my MIL is taking extra pain to make sure I am drinking milk :)

Rasmalai is one of the interesting ways of consuming milk for me, as they say you should consume milk in some form

I googled internet and BOOM I found this interesting and easy recipe on Manjula's Kitchen, 

Here is step by step guide from my trial and re trails :)




Ingredients for Rasmalai patties :

It will prepare 20 rasmalai's

2 liter milk
3 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups water
Pressure cooker

Ingredients for Milk mixture:
1 liter milk
1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar (adjust to your taste)
1/8 tsp crush cardamom
1 tsp sliced almonds and cashew
few saffron strands.

Method:

First you need to prepare Paneer.

1. Boil the milk in a pan and as it comes to a boil, add the lemon juice and stir the
    milk slowly. The curd will start separating from the milk and then turn of the gas.
    
 2. Drain the whey using a strainer and you will get milk fat or paneer.

3. Rinse this milk fat under cold running water for 2-3 minutes to remove lemon
    from paneer.

4. Squeeze excess water from the paneer, by wrapping it in a muslin cloth and 
    then pressing hard to remove excess water.
NOTE:  Removing correct amount of water from the paneer is the important part.

5. To check, whether the paneer is ready, you should be able to make ball from 
    the paneer.

6. Knead paneer for 4-5 minutes until you are able to make soft dough.





For making Rasmalai:-

1. Divide the paneer dough in 20 equal parts and make smooth balls.

2. To make the balls apply some pressure first and then release.

3. Mix sugar and water in Pressure cooker and bring it to a boil.

4. Add the paneer balls and close pressure cooker. Once pressure builds, turn 
    heat to low and cook for next 7-8 minutes.

5. Turn off the heat and wait for few minutes before opening the pressure cooker.

6. You will see that paneer balls are now in double the size. I like this part a lot:)




7. Now take out paneer balls from the syrup and squeez lightly to remove excess 
    syrup and keep it aside to cool down.

Note: These cool down Paneer patties and sugar syrup is Bengali Rasogulla :) 
      Ek tir se do shikar :)




8. Now in another deep pan add milk, sugar, saffron and keep on stirring until 
   you get desired thick consistency. Keep on stirring as milk burns fast and 
   sticks to the bottom of the pan.

9. Add cardamom,saffron and Rasmalai patties in the milk and let it cook for
    some time.



10. Garnish it with almonds and cashew .

11. Let it cool for some time and serve chilled rasmalai. I added few Tulsi 
     leaves to get it extra flavor and to make it auspicious as what ever we eat 
      is prasad if it is prepared with good thoughts in heart.






I hope you like it as my family and friends enjoyed it.  So, what is 
cooking in your kitchen, this Diwali!



Happy Diwali ! Happy Cooking!








No comments:

Post a Comment