Wednesday 28 November 2012

Winter Special: Lauki ka halwa.

During my childhood whenever I used to throw some tantrum ... that I do not want this, this is not tasty, I like that only means that only. Then to cool my temper my Papa used to prepare something special for me to make me happy and to bring me on talking terms, so that i can understand why I can not have this or that.

This weekend during weekly grocery and vegetable shopping, hubby dear bought 3 small Bottle gourds, Seeing three lauki in my fridge I was thinking what all I can prepare apart from normal Lauki ki sabzi.

Following options came to mind.
1. Lauki ka raita
2. Lauki ki sabzi
3. Lauki ke kofte.
4. Lauki ka halwa and it hitted the nail in mind.

Now recipe was not clear like how to prepare. Who else can come for a girl's rescue who is still kid at heart and will always be a kid for her parents. So I called my Papa and asked without waiting for him to say hello, "Papa ji ghiya ka halwa kaise banate hai ?" and the bestest Papa in the world shared this recipe with me.


Ingredients:

Serves 4
Preparation time:20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins

2 cups grated Lauki/bottle gourd
2 cup milk
3 tsp milk powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp Elaichi powder
1 cup water
Chopped Badam, Kaju (cashew), kismish (raisins) for garnish., chironji


Recipe:

1. Take a deep pan and boil grated lauki. When it gets boiled drain all the water and you will get soft Lauki.
2. In another deep pan, add milk, elaichi powder and cook for 10-15 mins on medium low heat, keep on stirring.
3. Add boiled lauki, milk powder, sugar and let it cook for another 20 mins, until milk starts getting thick like khoya, keep on  stirring continuously, otherwise it will stick to the pan.
4. Add chopped raisins, cashew, badam , Chironji to garnish.
5. Serve hot with a BIG SMILE :) as my dad do to cheer me up!

TIP: 1. Drain water properly from boiled Lauki, otherwise the moment you add milk to this it will become curd.
2. You can use this drained water for preparing Dal, Sabzi or in soup if you like.
3. Chironji enhances the flavor of this halwa.






 So, what are your childhood memories? Is there any vegetable which is generally not interesting but your mom and dad know how to make it interesting for you!






No comments:

Post a Comment