This is the first time I prepared any kind of pickle. Over this weekend my MIL and I prepared gajar ka achar and I have to admit that within two days half of the bottle is over J.
When I was young my mom and elder sister use to make this achar during winter’s. I think gajar ka achar or mixed vegetable achar is prepared in almost all the Punjabi families throughout the country during winter’s. This is so quick and simple that you can eat it once you fill the jar with it.J
1 Green Chilli
1/2 tsp Ajwain/caroom seeds
1/2 tsp methi dana
1tsp chilli or as per taste
2 pinch of hing / asofideta (optional)
2tsp Yellow/black mustard seeds
1/2tsp turmeric powder
Salt as per taste
1/2 cup mustard or olive oil
1tsp lemon juice (optional)
Steps to prepare Gajar ka Achar:
- Wash carrot, green chilli, Ginger and make them dry using kitchen towel to make sure there is no trace of water.
- Cut washed carrot, green chilli and ginger length wise.
- Grind Mustard seeds coarsely and keep it aside.
- In one bowl add, mustard seeds, ajwain, methi dana, hing, salt, red chilli, turmeric and oil.
- Note: if you are using mustard oil then heat it until it comes light yellow in colour or strong smell goes off. Let it cool for some time and then add to the mix.
- Store in an air tight container and you can use it immediately or within 15 -20 days.
- If you are using mustard oil then heat it until it comes light yellow in color or strong smell goes off. Let it cool for some time and then add to the dried pickle masala's.
- I used yellow mustard seeds,but you can use black one as well.
- If you are keeping this pickle for 15-20 days, then please keep it in sun for some time and mix well every day if you can.
- If you like cauliflower pickle then you can it to the same mix. It tastes too good.
Keep Rocking and Happy Cooking.